- Chuck Adams (Goalie), Grant McGhee (Midfielder), and Dominic Hite (Defense) were selected as WPIAL All-Section Lacrosse players! (June 2017)
- Congratulations to Caitlin Reed, who was named a US Lacrosse Academic All-American! (June 2017)
- Aquinas Academy won the Diocesan Developmental Tournament 1st Grade Soccer Championship! Aquinas’ team outscored their opponents 17-0 in four games, which is especially impressive as the team had never played any games before! Lorenzo Anselmino, Connor Dewitt, and Matthew Conley were named to the all-tournament team. Matthew Conley was named the tournament MVP! (June 3 2017)
- Harry Hardman was named to the USA Fencing 2016-17 All-Academic First Team and the USA Fencing High School All-American Second Team! The awards will be formally presented in a ceremony at the USA Fencing National Championships in Salt Lake City this July. (June 2017)
- Elizabeth Blume and Molly Maglio have been selected for All-Section Lacrosse honors! (June 2017)
- Congratulations to Caitlin Reed, a junior, on her reception of the prestigious Harvard Book Award! Caitlin also received an award from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute for a total of $100,000 to be used toward tuition if she chooses to attend RPI. These awards recognize the hard work of students and are based on: GPA, rigor of classes, standardized test results, and extracurricular activities and service. (May 2017)
- Congratulations to the Class of 2017! Their accomplishments include: 154 acceptances to 72 colleges and universities, $4.9 Million in Merit Scholarships, 2 National Merit Commended students, and a 1269 average SAT (verbal and math)! (May 27, 2017)
- John Reed earned a 7th place medal in the 3200m race at the WPIAL Track Individual Championship! Delaney McCarthy ran a personal record time of 12:37 to finish 11th in the women's 3200m race. (May 18, 2017)
- Anni Truschel, John Reed, and Ian Schirra were awarded the Aquinas Academy High School Outstanding Athletes of the Year at the spring athletics ceremony. Congratulations to them and to all of the high school sports participants and award recipients! (May 17, 2017)
- The middle school track team finished out its inaugural season at its first Diocesan Track Championship. Anthony placed 1st in the 3200m, 2nd in the 800m, and 3rd in the 1600m! The team's 4x400 relay finished 6th! Congratulations on a great first season! (May 13, 2017)
- Congratulations to our 8th graders who presented at the Pennsylvania Junior Academy of Science (PJAS) state competition: Diego Garcia, Kate McLaughlin, Benjamin Stalder, Ibby Teisser, and Macrina Volmer. The students earned four 1st places and one 2nd place! Benjamin also received the Karl F. Oerlein PJAS Award and a perfect score for his project, “Roses are Red: The Effect of Poems on Learning Styles”. (May 2017)
- Congratulations to Delaney McCarthy and John Reed, who both qualified for the 3200 meter event at the WPIAL Track Individual Championship on May 18th at Baldwin High School. Delaney ran a qualifying time of 12:38.58 and John ran a qualifying time of 9:46.51, which seeds him 2nd out of 16 athletes in that event. John also qualified in the 1600 meter event with a 4:32.64. (May 2017)
- Aquinas’ High School Girls Lacrosse team is in the WPIAL playoffs! So proud of this team for making playoffs in only its second year within the WPIAL league! (May 10, 2017)
- Congratulations to Harry Scherer, 11th grade, on being elected Head Prefect for the 2017-18 school year! (May 2017)
- Thirty Aquinas Academy students competed in the Aquinas Academy Catholic Schools Chess Tournament. Congratulations to all thirteen of our place winners, with special recognition to the following first place winners within their divisions: Jonah Burchill, Michael Jernigan, and Elijah Vangura. (Apr 29, 2017)
- Benjamin Stalder, 8th grade, performed on his clarinet with the Diocesan All-Star Band on Sunday. The All-Star Band consisted of 67 of the best musicians from the three District Honors Bands, representing schools throughout the Diocese of Pittsburgh. (Apr 23, 2017)
- Congratulations to Ian Schirra, who signed his NCAA Division I National Letter of Intent to swim for Mount St. Mary's University. Ian is the first Aquinas athlete to sign with an NCAA Division I school. (Apr 12, 2017)
- Jillian Mercer, 7th grade, represented Aquinas in the Pennsylvania State Geography Bee. Related Trib Total Media article: Six area students headed to Harrisburg for State Geography Bee". (Mar 31, 2017)
- Congratulations to Annie Austin, 5th grade, on winning the Aquinas Academy Spelling Bee! Annie will represent Aquinas at the upcoming 4th–6th grade Diocesan spelling bee. (Mar 2017)
- Sophomore Margaret “Molly” Maglio has been selected to play for the 2018⁄19 True Lacrosse Girls National Team. Molly will play this June in Vail, Colorado with and against some of the best competition in the nation. Congratulations to Molly on this prestigious honor!. (Mar 2017)
- Aquinas fencers, Harry Hardman, Louie D'Angelo, and Anthony Buck met a strong and talented Taylor Allderdice team in the first round of the Pittsburgh Interscholastic Fencing Association playoffs on Friday, March 3. Despite some strong individual performances, the Crusaders were outscored by the undefeated Dragons 5-1. Team captain Harry Hardman concluded his regular season play with an accomplished individual bout record of 27-2. This is the first year Aquinas has had a complete team of three fencers, and they finished with a 6-3 record! (Mar 3, 2017)
- Ian Schirra, senior, is going to PIAA State Swimming Championships and Y Nationals! Ian earned 4th place medals in the 200 IM (2:01.13) and the 100 breaststroke (59.82) at the WPIAL Swimming Championships, qualifying him for the PIAA State Swimming Championships at Bucknell University later this month. His breaststroke time also qualified Ian for the YMCA National Championship in North Carolina in April. Aquinas swimmers Sam Schirra, freshman, and John Reed, senior, both swam best times at WPIALs. Congratulations to all three Aquinas swimmers! (Mar 3, 2017)
- Three Aquinas swimmers are competing this week in the WPIAL Swimming Championships: John Reed in the 500 freestyle; Ian Schirra in the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke; and Samuel Schirra in the 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke. (Mar 2, 2017)
- Congratulations to the Aquinas fencers on earning a spot in the Pittsburgh Interscholastic Fencing Association Championship on Friday, March 3, 2017! The team finished with an admirable 6-3 record. Team captain Harry Hardman concluded his regular season play with an accomplished individual bout record of 26-1, the best in the League. (Feb 2017)
- Dominic Hite announced his commitment to play lacrosse at DeSales University. Robert Phillips has committed to playing soccer for Marietta College. Congratulations to these Aquinas seniors and good luck to them in their college athletics! (Feb 2017)
- The Aquinas high school girls basketball team is the SWCAC Champion! The girls won 44-27, with game MVP Anni Truschel scoring 16 of those Aquinas points. Congratulations, ladies! (Feb 25, 2017)
- Ethan Atta, John Bence, Henry Dingle, Michael Liguori, and Jackson Vollmer were awarded first place in the Lower Division Scene contest for their scene from A Midsummer Night’s Dream at the Pittsburgh Public Theater. Congratulations to these boys and their coach, Mr. Michael Flynn! Related Post-Gazette.com article: "Winners chosen in annual Shakespeare Monologue and Scenes competition". (Feb 20, 2017)
- Congratulations to the boys’ and girls’ high school basketball teams on both making it to the SWCAC playoffs again this year! The Lady Crusaders are also the Tri-County League Section Champs!
- Aquinas proudly announces that fifth grade students Ethan Atta, John Bence, Henry Dingle, Michael Liguori, and Jackson Vollmer were one of only five lower division scenes chosen to progress to The Showcase of Finalists of the 23rd Annual Shakespeare Monologue & Scene Contest at Pittsburgh Public Theater. They will perform their scene from A Midsummer Night’s Dream at The Showcase competition on Monday, February 20 at 7pm. Shakespeare Monologue & Scene Contest Finalists. (Feb 17, 2017)
- Congratulations to John Reed, senior, who had a very successful day while representing Aquinas Academy at the YSU regional High School indoor track & field invitational. John finished 3rd out of 72 runners in the 1600m event with a time of 4:32.30, a personal best time and a qualifying time for PA State Championships. John then went on to win the 3200m race, finishing first out of 50 runners with a personal best time of 9:50.56! (Feb 11, 2017)
- Congratulations to the following Aquinas Academy students who achieved first place in the PJAS Region 7 competition: Diego Garcia, Kate McLaughlin, Benjamin Stalder, Ibby Tessier, and Macrina Vollmer. Kate, Benjamin, and Macrina also merited special awards. Katie O’Connell, Riley Fantini, Sydney Komoroski, Evie Archer, Joey Stofko, Juliana Tambellini, and David Whitmer also presented, and represented Aquinas very well in the Regional contest! (Feb 4, 2017)
- John Reed, senior, qualified for WPIAL Swimming Championships with a time of 5:25.79 in the 500 yard freestyle event! Ian Schirra, senior, qualified in a 5th event for WPIAL championships, swimming the 100 freestyle in a school record time of 51.65 seconds. (Jan 2017)
- Congratulations to Jillian Mercer, who won Aquinas Academy's Geo Bee competition for the second time in three years! The Geo Bee is sponsored by the National Geographic Society. Jillian will now take a qualifying test which determines the top 100 scorers in the state, who will then advance to the state level Bee. (Jan 31, 2017)
- Congratulations to Sam Schirra, freshman, on qualifying for WPIAL Swimming Championships in the 100 butterfly with a school record time of 1:02.15. (Jan 24, 2017)
- Sam Schirra, freshman, qualified for WPIAL Swimming Championships in the 100 backstroke and set a new school record in the 100 butterfly. Ian Schirra, senior, qualified for WPIALs in two more events: the 200 IM and in the 100 backstroke, breaking his school record for the backstroke. Congratulations, swimmers! (Jan 19, 2017)
- Aquinas Academy high school students were blessed to hear presentations by Aquinas 8th grade graduate, Maria Petnuch Phelps, and her husband, David Phelps, pitcher for the Miami Marlins. Maria and David met at the University of Notre Dame, and are married with little ones. The couple spoke frankly with students about God’s plan for every person’s life, as well as chastity and the joy of marriage. We are grateful to have had the opportunity to have them share their story with our students. (Jan 18, 2017)
- Congratulations to Ian Schirra, a senior, who qualified in the 50 freestyle and 100 breaststroke for WPIAL Swimming Championships! This is the fourth year in a row that Ian has qualified for WPIALs. (Jan 3, 2017)
- Aquinas’ high school drama was highlighted on page 18 of the December issue of The Hampton News: “The Crucible Brilliantly Performed.” (Dec 2016)
- Aquinas seniors Therese Blume, Brianna Heinz, Olivia Hite, Sophia Kartsonas, Olivia McQuarrie, Theresa Ortiz, Natalie Santucci, Helen Urffer, and Anna Wieneke were among the young women presented during the 53rd Medallion Ball to benefit St. Lucy’s Auxiliary to the Blind. Related articles with photos: from Post-Gazette.com, The 53rd Medallion Ball is held at the Wyndham Grand; and, from Triblive.com, Fanfare: 53rd annual Medallion Ball. (Nov 25, 2016)
- Congratulations to Cailtin Reed for being named All-WPIAL for field hockey and to Dominic Hite for making AA-All Conference Offensive Line in the Three Rivers Conference for football! (Nov 2016)
- Aquinas Fencer, Harry Hardman, captured a Bronze Medal at Kent State in the “Black Squirrel” Senior Mixed Foil competition! Hardman most recently won a silver medal at the “Nightmare on Butler Street,” Corsair Fencing Club’s Halloween Tournament. He is next scheduled to fence this December in the “Crimson Cup” Senior Mixed Foil Tournament hosted by Indiana State University and in the Western Pennsylvania Division Junior Olympics Qualifier. (Nov 19, 2016)
- Congratulations to the seven Aquinas band students who auditioned and were selected for the Diocesan honor band: Grace Burchill, Benjamin Stalder, Rosemary Kenney, Mason Bilenski, Liam Ellis, Julia Meland & Macrina Vollmer! (Nov 2016)
- Congratulations to siblings Rachel and Robert Phillips on being named 2016 All-WPIAL soccer players! (Nov 2016)
- The High School Girls Soccer co-op team is going to states! Their first round PIAA Class A Championship game is against Brockway on Tuesday, November 8th at 7pm at DuBois Area High School. (Nov 2016)
- Congratulations to the Girls Cross Country co-op team on placing 4th in the state at PIAA Cross Country Championships! (Nov 2016)
- Announcing our 2016 All-Section soccer players: Rachel Phillips, Robert Phillips, Brandan Miller, and John Reed honorable mention. Congratulations to these very fine athletes! (Oct 2016)
- So proud of our two Aquinas runners on the Aquinas-Vincentian Cross Country co-op team for their performances at the WPIAL Cross Country Championships! Delaney McCarthy, a junior, had a strong performance, scoring 5th for her team with 27th place and a solid time of 22:04. Chuck Adams, a senior, had a hugely successful last high school race as first man in on the co-op team. It was a true battle between teammates to the finish, with Chuck finishing 43rd out of 187 total runners. His time was a 19:02. (Oct 27, 2016)
- Congratulations to the girls’ Cross Country co-op team on winning WPIAL Cross Country Class A title again this year! These ladies are headed to the PIAA State Championship, for the third year in a row, in Hershey on Saturday, November 5. (Oct 27, 2016)
- Big 5–1 WPIAL playoff win for Aquinas H.S. Boys Soccer against Quigley Catholic. This was the team’s first playoff win in Aquinas history! (Oct 22, 2016)
- Congratulations to the H.S.cross country co-op team, who will compete again this year in the WPIAL Cross Country Championship on Thursday October 27th at Cooper’s Lake! (Oct 2016)
- The H.S. Boys’ and Girls’ soccer teams and the Girls’ Field Hockey Team are all going to WPIAL playoffs again this year! This is the 4th year in a row for the soccer teams and the second year in a row for field hockey. Congratulations to all of our players and best of luck in the playoffs. (Oct 2016)
- Former Aquinas Academy student Gabriel Salibi joined John Flynn, class of '13, as a seminarian at St. Paul Seminary: “New seminarians begin studies.” (PittsburghCatholic.org, Oct 18, 2016)
- Aquinas’ middle school cross country team finished the season well with five medal winners at the Diocesan Cross Country Championship at Cooper’s Lake! (Oct 15, 2016)
- Congratulations to our High School Girls Soccer co-op team — WPIAL Section Champions for the second year in a row! (Oct 13, 2016)
- Aquinas Academy Mathletes won their first Math Madness competition of the Fall 2016 season, beating the Hatboro-Horsham Hatters 23-21! The students compete as a team weekly against other U.S. high school math teams, working individually to solve 8 very challenging math problems in the Math Madness competitions. (Sept 30, 2016)
- Aquinas is proud to announce that seniors Sydney Streib and Helen Urffer have been named Commended Students by the PSAT/National Merit Scholarship Program, with scores in the top 50,000 scores in the United States. (Sept 2016)
- Senior Chuck Adams named on the Boys Cross Country 2016 North Runners to Watch! “Boys Cross Country: 2016 North Runners to Watch”. Chuck runs on the Cross Country team co-op with Vincentian. (PG Publishing Co., Inc., Aug 28, 2016)
- Sophomore Molly Maglio and junior Caitlin Reed named on the Field Hockey: 2016 North Players to Watch! “Field Hockey: 2016 North Players to Watch” and “Field Hockey: 2016 North Season Preview” (PG Publishing Co., Inc., Aug 28, 2016)
- Head of School, Leslie Mitros, shares what makes Aquinas Academy well worth it in this Pittsburgh Quarterly Magazine article, “A Question of Value: Leaders discuss why independent schools are worth it”. (Aug 2016)
- Congratulations to the Class of 2016! They have a lot to be proud of: 106 Acceptances to 56 Different Colleges and Universities; 3 National Merit Finalists and 4 Commended; 1296 Average SAT (Verbal and Math); and $2.8 Million in Merit Scholarships! (Jun 2016)
- Congratulations to our High School Girls’ Lacrosse team on a great first season in WPIAL with three All Section Lacrosse players: Molly Maglio, Hannah Canil, and Rachel Urbash; and one All WPIAL player: Molly Maglio. (May 2016)
- Jillian Mercer recently represented Aquinas Academy at the Diocesan Spelling Bee, competing as one of 43 children from numerous Catholic schools in the Pittsburgh Diocese. Jillian tied for 4th place with 2 other students. Great job, Jillian! (May 2016)
- Congratulations to John Reed on competing at the WPIAL Track Championships. He finished just shy of the state qualifiers, finishing 10th in the 1600m with a time of 4:35.90 and 10th in the 3200m with a time of 10:14.73. (May 19, 2016)
- Congratulations to Scholar Athlete, Joseph Richthammer! Joseph was one of ten young men and ten young women who are high school seniors, recognized by the WPIAL as scholar athletes. Each one received a $1000 scholarship to their college or university. (May 16, 2016)
- Aquinas Academy was very blessed to have our Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh, Bishop David Zubik, visit classes, meet with teachers and board members, and offer Holy Mass. (May 12, 2016)
- Congratulations to our three students who recently played a concert with the Pittsburgh Youth Concert Orchestra (PYCO) at Carnegie Music Hall: Max Meland, trumpet; Harry Scherer, clarinet; and, Susan Meland, French horn. Mahler Symphony No 1 - IV Movement (Highlights) Pittsburgh Youth Concert Orchestra (Apr 29, 2016)
- Aquinas Academy hosted its first High School Fencing Match on April 30th. Congrats to the following Aquinas fencers: Julia So, 2nd in the girls’ event; Harry Hardman, 6th place in the boys’ event; and, Louie D’Angelo, 7th place in the boys’ event. (Apr 30, 2016)
- Congratulations to the following students who earned awards at the Catholic Schools Chess Tournament hosted by Aquinas Academy: in the kindergarten through second grade division, Louis Bentivegna placed 7th, Alex Aulacio placed 6th, and Jonah Burchill placed 1st; in the 3rd and 4th grade division, Benjamin Everson placed 2nd; and in the 5th through 8th grade division, Elijah Vangura placed 1st. (Apr 23, 2016)
- John Reed, an Aquinas Academy junior, was named a 2016 Carson Scholar at the Pittsburgh awards ceremony with Dr. Ben Carson at Heinz Field. After the ceremony, John had the honor of meeting Dr. Carson. Congratulations, John! (Apr 17, 2016)
- Congratulations to Annamarie Hart, Benjamin Stalder, and Rosemary Kenney on a marvelous performance with the North District Honor Band! (Apr 9, 2016)
- March 20th was an exciting day for our Aquinas fencers! Harry Hardman, Julia So, and Louie D’Angelo qualified to compete at the USA Fencing National Championships in Dallas this July. Julia finished in first place winning a gold medal in her event. Harry won a bronze medal in one of his events and a silver medal in his other event. This is a tremendous achievement for our fencers and we wish them well in Dallas! (Mar 2016)
- Jillian Mercer, 6th grade, is the winner of the Aquinas Academy Spelling Bee. She will go on to represent Aquinas at the Diocese of Pittsburgh Elementary Catholic Schools Spelling Bee Grades 4-5-6 on May 11th. Congratulations and good luck, Jillian! (Mar 21, 2016)
- Congrats to Ian Schirra on swimming a best time in the 100 breaststroke at PIAA State Swimming Championships (Boys AA), moving up to finish 18th in the prelims. (Mar 19, 2016)
- Pittsburgh Public Theatre Shakespeare Competition Honorable Mention awards announced: Seth So and Joseph Richthammer’s scene along with Julia So’s monologue were recently awarded Honorable Mention in the competition! Aquinas also had two groups perform in this year’s Showcase of Finalists: Seniors Mary Rose Flynn, Christian Bender, Brennan Woo, and Paul Adams, who performed a scene from Hamlet; and, 5th Graders Julia Meland, Grace Gasior, and Gracie Burchill, who performed a scene from A Midsummer Night’s Dream. [Read More] These students were among the top performers chosen from more than 1,300 participants. The senior group was chosen as one of the top 4 scenes in the Upper Division (8th-12 grade). The 5th grade group was chosen as one of the top 6 scenes in the Lower Division (4th-7th grade). The Showcase of Finalists took place at the O'Reilly Theater on Monday, February 15th. Congratulations to all of the participants in this year’s Shakespeare Monologue and Scene Competition! (Mar 2016)
- Congratulations to the following students who will represent Aquinas Academy at the 49th annual Quigley Classic All-Star Basketball games on April 2nd: Paige Indovina, Catherine Richthammer, Maria Figucia, Laura Richthammer, Gabe Vangura, Timmy Zaharko, Thomas Molenda, and Ian Palmer. Approximately 15 Diocesan Elementary Schools will be represented in the tournament. (Mar 2016)
- Aquinas is very thankful to have had Dominican sisters Sr. Mary Michael and Sr. Maria Frassati spend the day with our students this week, giving a vibrant witness and powerful advice. The sisters visited the lower school classrooms, then spoke with the middle school, emphasizing that in the life of faith, in addition to our own efforts, we receive the help of God’s grace. High school students were taught the important message of “How to Live Counterculturally.” That evening, Sr. Mary Michael gave parents valuable information on “Praying as a Family.” (Mar 15, 2016)
- Steelers star gives inspirational talk to Aquinas Academy students (Trib Total Media, Mar 7, 2016)
- Aquinas Academy in Hampton ranked No. 1 Catholic School in state by Niche.com (Trib Total Media, Mar 1, 2016)
- We are Number 1! For the second year in a row, Aquinas Academy is ranked at the top of the Best Catholic High Schools in Pennsylvania! (Feb 15, 2016)
- “Eagle Scout projects bring upgrades to Aquinas Academy” (Trib Total Media, Nov 16, 2015)
- “Aquinas Academy celebrates 20th anniversary” (PG Publishing Co., Inc., Aug 21, 2015)
- We are Number 1! Aquinas Academy is ranked at the top of the 2015 Best Catholic High Schools in Pennsylvania and is 29th out of the 2015 Best Catholic High Schools in America! (Aug 2015)
- Aquinas Academy is pleased to begin offering an after school program for the 2015-16 school year. Parents in need of care for their student beyond the school day are invited to meet the new after-day program director, Genny Kozusko, and find out more about the program on Monday evening, May 11th at 5:15pm in Mross–McGonigle Hall. (May 2015)
- “Bishop blesses new Aquinas Academy building.” (Trib Total Media, Mar 30, 2015)
- Aquinas Academy was honored to have Bishop David A. Zubik celebrate Mass with us and then bless Mross-McGonigle Hall. Thank you, Bishop Zubik! View photos of this special occasion here. (Mar 23, 2015)
- Students will start school Tuesday, December 9 in the new Mross-McGonigle Hall which will serve as the new home for high school students. The completed $4.85 million dollar building will provide our growing academy with 15 new classrooms, including two state-of-the-art science labs and an arts wing. Lower and middle school students will use the building for art and music classes. (Dec 9, 2014)
- “Aquinas Academy to open new hall” (Post-Gazette, Oct 30, 2014).
View more photos of the building here.
- “Aquinas Academy recognized for excellence.” (Trib Total Media, Sept 24, 2014)
- Aquinas Head of School, Leslie Mitros, accepts the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge! Watch Video (Sept 05, 2014)
- An article was recently published on pages 36-38 in the Fox Chapel Living magazine, featuring Aquinas Academy and alumna Caroline Henry. Aquinas Academy: Handing On the Fruits of Contemplation (August 2014)
- Aquinas Academy Advisory Program is successful due to the attitude of the faculty - April 4th Pittsburgh Catholic article > content of article (April 4, 2010)
Success is in the Details
1 out of 4
Alumni recognized as National Merit Scholars, Finalists, or Commended students.
The National Average is 1 out of 25.
2 out of 3
Graduates of the class of 2016 earned a score of 3 or higher on an AP exam.
of the Class of 2016 received a merit based college scholarship.
of middle school teachers hold a master’s degree.
Ranked the #1 Catholic High School in Pennsylvania by Niche.com in 2016.
One of only seven schools in the nation to receive the Catholic Education School of Excellence Award consecutively since 2005.
96% National Percentile Rank
on 2016 IOWA Exams for Grades 2–8.
Aquinas students score higher than 96% of schools in the nation.
Over $2,000 donated to pro-life charities by Vivat Vita’s “Cakes for Life” in the last five years.
54% of 5th graders participated in the Shakespeare Monologue & Scene Contest in 2016.
70% of High School students play at least one sport and participate in an additional extracurricular activity.
43% played two or more sports
College acceptance rate
Average class size
Student to teacher ratio
Masses offered throughout the school year